Meadow Lake Airport Association Inc.
"Colorado’s Largest Pilot Owned Airport"
Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday November 9, 2004
President Jack Dhooghe called the Meeting to order at 3:15 PM. Present were Members, Dave Elliott, Gene Kear, Richard Martin, Verlin Schauer, and Mark Shook. Absent: Lee Wolford
- Copies of the Minutes of the October Meeting were provided to each Board member prior to the meeting. An objection was made to wording stating the IRS ruling "Prohibited Association funds being used on private property". The secretary quoted directly from the IRS report supporting those statements including " GOVERMENTS POSITION " It has been determined that the organization (MLAA) qualifies for exemption under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(4) as it hold(s) a similar resemblance to a homeowners association which (1)serves a community which bears a reasonable relationship to an area ordinarily defined as a government unit, (2) does not conduct activities directed to the exterior maintenance of private property," The secretary felt it was an important issue as it goes to the very heart of our Tax exempt status and agreed that quoting the actual wording would be more accurate. After review, Verlin Schauer made a motion that the Minutes be approved as revised. Gene Kear 2nd. Approved 6-0.
- Currently the association has $97,477.05 in 6 accounts, and $125,000.00 in a state aviation grant.
- Mark Shook made the motion to approve the Treasurers report. 2nd by Verlin Schauer. Approved 6-0.
- Richard reported that we now have a 1971 Oshkosh Snow Plow. The transport bill from Jeffco to MLA is $440.00.
- Richard has ordered small electric heaters for all the plow equipment.
- Beacon will be finished this week. Richard reported Jack Fields estimates 1 to 3 hours at $100.00 per hour for 2 guys.
- Jerry Gordons $5000.00 ACC deposit has been received, and his plans have been approved.
- Gene Kear nominated Lynn French to fill the open position on the ACC. 2nd by Mark Shook. APPROVED 6-0.
Appeal ACC Cash Bond/ Steve Johnson
- Greg Johnson presented a 2 page letter outlining what he considers unwise board actions and the lack of experience and expertise in land development and building construction by those appointed to review building plans.
- Steve Johnson objected to the ACC revoking his and other builders prior variance to the ACC cash bond without any notification or opportunity to be heard on the matter. Secretary Mark Shook pointed out that the record showed the board action was to raise the cash bond from $2,500.00 to $5,000.00. No action had been taken on the prior Insurance certificate waivers. They were discussed, but not eliminated.
Revise RULE # 02-03/ Mark Shook
- Mark Shook presented suggested revisions to Rule 02-03 in light of the IRS ruling, and the results of the membership votes taken since the rule was adopted. The vote to approve the revisions failed 02-04. Mark stated he would withdraw the proposal. Board members requested that the item be tabled until next meeting for additional review.
New Committees /Dave Elliott
Non Aviation Use/Dave Elliott
- Concern about proliferating non aviation use in Aircraft Hangars was discussed. The item was tabled until next meeting.
Letter from ADG/ Verlin Schauer
- Verlin presented a letter from Jim Sirhall at ADG that he had solicited in response to the resolution passed at the October meeting regarding MLA accepting water runoff from current airport lots onto its property. No further action was taken.
The meeting was Adjourned at 5:40 PM.
Mark Shook/Secretary Meadow Lake Airport Association, Inc.